Monday, July 4, 2011

Blog Feature Sunday - Get to know Sarah @ DeMoss Designs!

Click HERE to enter DeMoss Designs!
Please tell us a little bit about yourself.
-My name is Sarah and I live in Ohio with my husband and my 3 little girls. I am take care of my kiddos during the day and I am a social worker at night. Somewhere in there, I also sew and have a ton of fun on Etsy.

Aww, three little girls, they are so fun, aren't they!? 


Name three words to describe yourself.
-Wow, this is a tough one. Maternal, slightly obsessive, fun-loving

Name three words to describe your Etsy shop.
-Colorful, all ages, and limitless

How long have you been creating? How long have you been selling on Etsy, and what made you take the plunge to sell to others?
-I have been quilting for a little over 10 years. I have been on Etsy for about a year and a half. I made a quilt for myself that was supposed to go great in my living room. When I was finished, the quilt was beautiful but the colors I wanted to highlight were in the background and it really had a totally different look. I did not love it for myself but I still wanted it to find a great home. I decided to try Etsy. From the moment I put it on-line, I became obsessed with making more and more to list.

That is the beauty of creating, I think, we continually yearn to create more!


Tell me a little bit about your creative process?
-My creative process is all over the place. It all started with quilting. Quilting uses so many different fabrics and I often had a ton left over. I was searching for smaller projects I could do to use up my scraps. I love the look of grown-up fabrics used for baby items so I started making bibs and other baby items. I have a long list of different items I would love to make and list for my shop but right now I am so busy making what is already listed that I have not had time to explore my other ideas.

I would LOVE to be able to quilt, I am in constant awe of big beautiful quilts!



Can we see your work space?
-I am hoping to send a picture of my work space before this goes live but I am not confident that will happen. I am currently working in my unfinished basement while my husband attempts to finish it all around me. I also allow my 2 year old to play in my fabric and threads while I am working so they are always a total mess. I have been working like mad to organize myself these last few days so I just may get that photo taken to remind myself of what a functional working space looks like.


What are your other passions?
-I love being outside. I try to find fun outdoor activities for my children as much as I can. My family loves to go Geocaching so this is what we do many weekends in the summer. I also love to travel.

I have never done Geocaching, but I think it sounds fun! Maybe my family will have to try it once this Summer. :)


What are your two favorite items from your shop, and why?
-My first is my brown, teal, and red lap quilt. This looks SO great in person and I love the combination of red and teal. The other is the pale yellow fleur de lis purse. It has such a great feel.

I love the colors in that quilt, I am a sucker for teal and brown together!



What are some of your favorite Etsy shops?
-Wow this is a hard one! I have so many favorites and they are changing all the time. I have become friends with so many people that it would be impossible to list them all. My last 3 purchases were great so I think I will just list those. I got some wonderful hand painted drawer pulls from HobKnobin, some great earrings from JulieEllynDesigns, and some graphic design work from FireDancerDesigns. All were great!


Those are all great shops! I agree that JulieEllyn has awesome jewelry; and I am going to have to look more at HobKnobin, what a creative shop!

Lastly, what is some advice that you would offer to those interested in starting their own Etsy shop?
-The best thing I can say is to get involved. Join teams and meet people. I have learned SO much from reading the forums. There are many levels to Etsy. Opening a shop and listing a couple items is just the tip of the iceberg.


I agree! The people of Etsy really are some of the best that you'll ever meet! :)

Now it is my favorite part, I am going to share a few of my favorite things from Sarah's shop! :)



Isn't this quilt absolutely stunning?!

I LOVE this fabric!! Sarah, I want a girls dress with this fabric!

I love it all, but the colors in this lovey are PERFECT!

Sarah, thanks again for letting us learn more about you and your creations! Your entire shop is lovely, and I love the colors, patterns, and things that you make. I look forward to seeing even more amazing products being added to your shop!

And thank you for your generous Key Fob donation for the Mega Giveaway!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely Little Note