Friday, July 15, 2011

Oh hey, Cake Pops!

I tried making Cake Balls a LONG time ago and I failed miserably. It was a spur of the moment decision, and I had the wrong type of Chocolate.

They ended up being gooey, too sweet, and UGLY little things! Of course, that didn't stop my Lover from taking them to work with him the next day and they were devoured! Those poor starved Engineers!

I decided to give it another go, and while they weren't perfect, they tasted better, and actually resembled a Cake Pop this time! I am seriously debating making them for Annie's first birthday party as favors...

Want to learn how?! I am NO pro, and I didn't create the idea of a Cake Pop. (although I kind of wish that I had)



Here is what you need: Lollipop Sticks (AC Moore/Michael's/Hobby Lobby), Meltable Chocolate (I used Milk Choc., also available at the above mentioned stores), Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker Devil's Food), and a can of icing (Whipped Vanilla...mm!) You can definitely use a scratch made cake and/or icing, but for the sake of time boxes work for me!
You will need the following for your cake mix: Water, Egg/s, and Vegetable Oil.
Mix your cake as per the instructions. You can use a mixer for this, but I just always use a wisk and my strong arm for box mixes.
This will be your BEST friend if you're a baker. It's butter spray and flour all mixed into one can...genius!! Spray a 9" by 13" baking dish, and pour in the cake batter.



Let that bad boy cool on a rack until it is COMPLETELY cooled. I got a little over anxious, hence the missing chunk. I should have let it sit before I dumped it out. LOL

When it is completely cooled throughout, put it in a large bowl and take a wooden spoon to it. Break it up really, really well. You want it completely crumbled.

Remember this guy? BTW, I usually turn up my nose at packaged icing, because I make an amazing home made Cream Cheese and Buttercream...but this Whipped Betty Crocker stuff is seriously yummy!
Combine the cake crumbles and icing until it is thoroughly mixed together.

Next take a small amount of the cake mixture and form small balls, about the 1" by 1". Sit them on a shallow cookie sheet that you've lined with parchment paper or wax paper.
Next, take your little balls and pop them in the freezer for a good 45-50 minutes. The cooler they are, the better! If they're too warm when you dip them in the hot Chocolate, they will be a crumbly mess. Take them out of the fridge 10 at a time, and prep them for the Chocolate by sticking the lollipop sticks in them,
Now, get your Melting Chocolates in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave them at 50% power for 30 seconds, then stir, 30 seconds, then stir...until they are completely melted. You can also use a double boiler...the instructions for melting the Chocolate are found on the back of the package.
Delicious melted , gooey, sweet Milk Chocolate. (They also have Dark Choc, White Choc, and several different variations of colored White Choc.)
Dip the Cake Pop into the melted Chocolate, and Voila! You can cover up the ENTIRE Cake Ball, but I like to leave a little bit of cake exposed on mine. ;)


Oh yeeeeah, they approve. ;)

And if you're loving the Green, Yellow, and Blue Washcloth that you saw in a lot of the pictures, you can find it here: MelissaGHollis.

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, I always wanted to figure out how to make those. I'm glad I saw this recipe! I'll search for some more and see what I can find so we can both become cake pop pros! haha Love this post! The kids really do approve of your skill. :)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely Little Note