Sunday, August 21, 2011

Blog Feature Sunday - Get to know Melissa at MelissaGHollis

Click HERE to enter MelissaGHollis!
Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

-I'm 20 years old, married to my wonderful husband, Lincoln and currently a stay at home mom to my one year old son Milo. We are also expecting a baby girl in late September that we are naming Brooklynne. My life is extremely busy and crazy, but a whole lot of fun too. :)

Congrats on the new baby! :) Our youngest was also due (last) September, but she held on to October! Hopefully little Brooklynne doesn't do that, too!


Name three words to describe yourself.

-Creative ;) Ambitious and Talkative


Name three words to describe your shop.

-Bright, Fun, Functional

I love to make things that people need, but in fun colors and patterns. If you have to have washcloths, for example, why not have them in lime green and hot pink?

How long have you been creating? How long have you been selling your product, and what made you take the plunge to sell to others?

-I have been crocheting and knitting for about 4 years now, but only doing it seriously since I had my son. I started my business in November of 2010 and have been selling on etsy since then. It really started out as a hobby when I decided to delay my education (I was attending Western Washington University until my son was born). I needed something to do when my husband was at work late at night and Milo was asleep, so I started making him baby hats and someone commented that they might like to buy one, so I made more and started listing on etsy. :)

I am glad that you started selling, because I LOVE your washcloths!

Tell me a little bit about your creative process?

-My creative process is basically create when I can. Between nap times, walks, meal time, play time, bath time and bed time, my day is pretty much full. It is a real challenge trying to work only during nap time and not take time away from our family in order to create. Honestly, part of me is excited for when my son goes into preschool, just so that my day is a little more structured and so I can actually get something done during the day instead of working purely while my son sleeps.

Most of my work takes place after 7 pm when my son goes to bed. After his bedtime, I frantically crochet orders, package them and get them ready to send out (which I will do the next day when we pass by the post office on our daily walk) and then try to think of things to add to my inventory. On a good day, I usually only get things either made and packaged, or something new created and photographed, not nearly enough to be content with, but it is what it is.

I think those of us with kids definitely have to take what we can get! I know that on any given day I get ONE step of the process done.

Can we see your work space?

-I don't really have set work space. We are currently in a 2 bedroom apartment, and things are stored where ever there is space. I package at the kitchen table, I have a cylindrical organizer full of yarn in my bedroom, that sort of thing :)

What are your other passions?

-Oh I have so many! God, for one, writing, I would LOVE to write a novel some day, and this may sound really strange, but one of my biggest passions in math! I would love to become an accountant one day. It's what I was going to school for before I got pregnant with my son. Mostly I just love how in math there is one answer, you know? In so many areas of life there is gray area, but math is very black and white. You either have the answer or you don't. I love that.


What are your two favorite items from your shop, and why?

-My two favorite items are my gray fingerless gloves because they are just so fashion fabulous :) and my face scrubbies because I love their bright colors!

What are some of your favorite shops?

-I love so many shops on Etsy! My favorites are probably ones that sell things like candles and other girlie items. I also love all of the shops that do trades because I am a bit of a shopaholic and trading my items makes it much easier on my husbands wallet. ;)

Lastly, what is some advice that you would offer to those interested in starting their own shop?

-My advice, find something you love to do and try to make money doing it! BUT think it through before you get in over your head! When I started my etsy shop, I thought it would be just something that I did in my spare time, but found out it was much, much more demanding than that! You have to make something, take good pictures, list the item, then try to get people to find your item to buy them. It is no easy task, but if you really love what you do, it makes it really worth it.


Now it is my favorite part, I am going to share a few of my favorite things from Melissa's shop! :)
Isn't this neckwarmer great? I love the bright colors that Melissa uses!
These cotton washcloths are so great! If you haven't tried crochet washcloths, seriouly, DO it! They are fantastic.


Melissa, thanks so much for stopping by and sharing with us! I really enjoyed learning more about you and your craft! 


Thank you also for the generous Face Scrubbie donation to the Mega Giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely Little Note